Those who suffer fromDupuytren's Contracture seek relief in several ways ranging from topical creams to surgery. The effectiveness of these potential remedies depends on different factors, the most important of which may be how far the disease has progressed.
People afflicted with this progressive, hand-deforming condition will be pleased to read that they can often help address their ailment with some simple stretching exercises during the early stages of the progression of Dupuytren's Contracture.
It is unfortunate that there is no way to reverse or cureDupuytren's. The bright light here is that although you can't stop or reverse its progression, it progresses very slowly. Consequently, most of those afflicted don't require anything as dramatic as surgery and are often able to get by with any number of home remedies, including stretching exercises.
Stretching exercises related to relieving Dupuytren's should not be painful.
A good rule of thumb is to halt any exercise that causes pain because pain is an indicator that you are pushing yourself too hard. This can do more harm than good, so take it easy. Stretching exercises are intended to help you manage your condition by easing any associated discomfort.
Bearing in mind that you never want to cause pain by going too hard on yourself, you can do stretching exercises several times every day if you are so inclined. You are in charge here, so consider establishing a regular routine that works best for you and your lifestyle.
Here are a few stretching exercises that you may find useful:
Dupuytren's is a progressive disease. If you have already begun to experience some contracture, some of these stretching exercises may be difficult. You can also use your other hand to gently straighten a contracted finger. Hold it straight for a few seconds and then release. You can repeat this, too, as long as it is comfortable to do so.
Here are some other things that you can do that will help you manage Dupuytren's:
Anything you can do to reduce inflammation can be helpful. It is always a good idea to add more green leafy vegetables, fruits, nuts, and fatty fish to your diet because these types of food help fight inflammation.
Dupuytren's Disease is commonly called Dupuytren's Contracture.
Nobody knows the origin of Dupuytren's and there is no known cure for it. Dupuytren's is a progressive disease, which means that it slowly gets worse over time. In its advanced stage, Dupuytren's causes your fingers - most commonly your little finger, and ring finger, but sometimes also your thumb - to involuntarily bend inward toward your palm. When this happens, it's called a flexion contracture.
Contracture occurs because an excessive amount of college builds up in your Palma fascia, which is the fibrous connective tissue that anchors and stabilizes the skin in your palm so that it isn't loose like the skin on the top of your hand and thereby helps enable people to grip things.
Dupuytren's progresses very slowly. Home remedies like hand and finger stretches, heat treatments, and topical applications suffice for about 80% of sufferers. The remaining 20% who may require professional medical treatment are usually older because the need for treatment advances only 20% to 40% each decade after the appearance of the first lump.
The first sign may be the development of a small, hard lump (nodule) on your palm, usually around the area where the bottoms of your fingers attach to your palm. Sometimes there can be more than one lump or additional lumps might appear with time. These lumps are usually not painful, although they may be a little sensitive.
As collagen levels increase, the Palma facia starts to thicken. When this happens, a thick, raised band that looks like a cord runs from your palm and up to one or more of your finders. As the disease progresses, this cord becomes taut and causes your affected fingers to involuntarily bend inward toward your palm to the extent that you have difficulty straightening the finer. At advanced stages, you can't.
The number of people who get Dupuytren's is relatively small - about 15 million. Here are six characteristics of those who are most at risk:
You should always depend on your doctor's diagnosis to determine if you have Dupuytren's because a lot of the symptoms mirror other medical diseases or conditions. There are some things you can look for at home:
Your doctor is your best source of advice, but most people don't require treatment beyond the home remedies mentioned earlier. If treatment is needed, it usually involves one or more of these three procedures:
A regular regimen of hand stretches is an effective home remedy for managing Dupuytren's Contracture. They can't cure or completely halt the disease's progression, but they can increase your comfort and help you deal with it.
Comments will be approved before showing up.